Letters from the Front

The country fell silent on Saturday to mark the signing of the armistice between the Allies and Germany at 11am on 11 November 1918. It signified the end of World War One, after four long years of fighting. 

Poppy display outside the Together Trust, 2014

We’ve written numerous blogs over the years about the charity during the War. These have told the stories of those who fought in the War, how the fighting effected the services and the various activities undertaken by the charity today to commemorate that part of its history. 

In the charity’s magazine ‘The Children’s Haven’, news was often relayed to its subscribers about those who had enlisted. Entitled ‘News from Active Service’, extracts from letters written back to the Homes, were published. They gave an insight into the mindset of the Refuge boys at that point, which were notably varied.

One letter revealed the hardships of war:
Excuse me for not writing before this, I have had so many to write to and life is not all honey out here. I have been lucky enough to escape being hit yet, and hope that my luck stays with me. I have been out here now about three months, and I am looking forward to a furlough about February.
Another was quite different:
I must really thank you for sending me that beautiful message, as I may say it will take me a long way. I often think of the times we used to have in the dear old Refuge, and I must say I never shall forget it. I have been in the trenches and quite enjoyed it.
Letters were sent to the charity from Refuge soldiers

For some of the men, the Refuge was the only place for them to write. For those with no family, who had been brought up by the charity, it was home.
A few more words from one of your old boys who cannot forget you and the good old days he spent in the good old institute. I would like what news you know of any of them, for there are times when your mind wanders, and you cannot help thinking of the fellows you have lived with and mixed up with as we all did in the Institute.
The charity compiled a roll of honour for all those who fought in the First World War. You can find out some of their stories on our website, as we continue to remember the sacrifice made.

Comments